What’s the Story?
Rise above the streets and enter Osaka’s uncharted frontier: the rooftops. Modern-day urban explorers we climb not mountains, but staircases cast in neon light, shrouded in the unknown. Here we will loot not treasures of gold, but of light—epic scenes of the urban jungle stolen away with our cameras. Stand triumphant on the rooftops with the metropolitan expanse ten stories beneath your feet.
What We’ll Shoot
We will show you a few secret spots overlooking the city, but more importantly, we will also impart on you our experience and advice on how to better shoot cityscapes. We will use tripods to our advantage but also, when required, we will shoot handheld to create an intense vertigo effect. You’ll learn how to get the best results in low light conditions and how to create compelling compositions of the nighttime cityscape.
Where We’ll Explore
We will go to handpicked locations, not known in any guidebooks, that are elevated above the densely populated and colorful streets of Umeda. We will wander the back alleys of Kitashinchi, filled with smoke and colorful neon signs, and then rise above the chaos and photograph the city from the rooftops.
We meet inside JR Osaka station. At the "Toki no Hiroba" square. In front of the big golden clock. This square is located on the connection bridge above the train tracks. When in doubt as the station staff "Toki no Hiroba". Please aim to arrive 15 minutes early
If you are in Osaka
1. Go to JR Osaka station
2. Head towards the "Connecting Bridge"
3. Take the escalators up towards the 5th floor
4. You should see a big Golden clock soon
5. You are at "Toki no Hiroba", the meeting spot
6. When in doubt ask station/information staff for "Toki no Hiroba" square*
If you come from Kyoto
1. Go to JR Kyoto station
2. Take an express train towards Osaka (25 minutes)
3. DO NOT take the Shinkansen (it doesn't go to Osaka station but Shin-Osaska)
4. Upon arrival go up the escalator on the platform
5. Alight at the "Bridge Exit"
6. Pass the turnstile head right towards "North Central Exit"
7. Take the escalators up towards the golden clock
8. You are at "Toki no Hiroba", the meeting spot
9. When in doubt ask station/information staff for "Toki no Hiroba" square*
* Osaka station is a maze, when asking for directions don't ask a local looking person: ask station personnel only!
Meeting Point Photo
Click to expand
Meeting Point Map
See in Google Maps