Today’s photo by Axel Deroubaix. I took this snap during a bespoke photo adventure in Kyoto. I wanted to create a different look from the usual Geisha photo. I spotted a girl walking towards a colorful sake vending machine and decided it would be an ideal backdrop. I exposed for the bright cold light emanating from the machines so that I could 1. highlight the silhouette of the passing geisha and 2. increase my shutter speed to freeze her movement as well as close slightly my aperture to allow more depth of field. Et voila! Geisha meets sake vending machine: a western tourist paradise!
Want to to get the latest photo tips and stories in your mailbox?
Be Our Friend
- Learn from the Masters: Siegfried Hansen
- Photo Editing Episode 1 – Basics & Street Photography
- NEW photo adventure — Realms of Elegance with Junko Sophie Okimoto
- EYExplore YouTube Channel — Phase 1 Complete
- Siegfried Hansen Tokyo Street Photography Workshop
- Finding Fresh Shots in the Forum — Go Beyond the Obvious Shots
- Hidden in Plain Sight — Isolating Architecture in Ginza
- Fushimi Inari Shrine: how to avoid crowds and take great photos
- Metro Motion — Capturing Motion in the Tokyo Metro
- Bic Camera aesthetics