Today’s photo by Axel Deroubaix. I took this snap during a bespoke photo adventure in Kyoto. I wanted to create a different look from the usual Geisha photo. I spotted a girl walking towards a colorful sake vending machine and decided it would be an ideal backdrop. I exposed for the bright cold light emanating from the machines so that I could 1. highlight the silhouette of the passing geisha and 2. increase my shutter speed to freeze her movement as well as close slightly my aperture to allow more depth of field. Et voila! Geisha meets sake vending machine: a western tourist paradise!
Want to get the latest photo tips and stories in your mailbox?
Read some more
- City Photo Tips — Getting Over the Fear of Angles
- A Geisha Photo Shoot in Kyoto
- 15 of Tokyo’s Favorite Instagram Spots Revealed
- Japan Photo Tips – Hie Shrine and a Tunnel of Torii Gates
- Street Photography Ideas – Silhouettes and Leading Lines
- Top 5 Places for Photography in Tokyo
- Working the Scene in Tokyo International Forum
- Photo Critique Session – Composition Tips
- A Photographer’s Guide to Transit at Narita
- Three Tips for Organizing Your Photos