Today’s photo by Axel Deroubaix. I took this snap during a bespoke photo adventure in Kyoto. I wanted to create a different look from the usual Geisha photo. I spotted a girl walking towards a colorful sake vending machine and decided it would be an ideal backdrop. I exposed for the bright cold light emanating from the machines so that I could 1. highlight the silhouette of the passing geisha and 2. increase my shutter speed to freeze her movement as well as close slightly my aperture to allow more depth of field. Et voila! Geisha meets sake vending machine: a western tourist paradise!
Want to get the latest photo tips and stories in your mailbox?
Read some more
- Get a Slice of Japan with Peko Peko Box
- Street Photography in Tokyo — Ikebukuro East Side in the Rain
- Japan Photo Tour — Autumn Session is Still a Go
- City Photo Tips — Getting Over the Fear of Angles
- A Geisha Photo Shoot in Kyoto
- 15 of Tokyo’s Favorite Instagram Spots Revealed
- Japan Photo Tips – Hie Shrine and a Tunnel of Torii Gates
- Street Photography Ideas – Silhouettes and Leading Lines
- Top 5 Places for Photography in Tokyo
- Working the Scene in Tokyo International Forum