Today’s photo by Axel Deroubaix. I took this snap during a bespoke photo adventure in Kyoto. I wanted to create a different look from the usual Geisha photo. I spotted a girl walking towards a colorful sake vending machine and decided it would be an ideal backdrop. I exposed for the bright cold light emanating from the machines so that I could 1. highlight the silhouette of the passing geisha and 2. increase my shutter speed to freeze her movement as well as close slightly my aperture to allow more depth of field. Et voila! Geisha meets sake vending machine: a western tourist paradise!
Want to get the latest photo tips and stories in your mailbox?
Read some more
- EYExplore Shared Photo Tours are Back!
- Yokohama After Dark — A New Photo Adventure!
- Summer Sale — 6,000 Yen Discount!
- A New Tokyo Photo Adventure: Tokyo Soul
- Japan Photo Tour May 2023 — Last Call!
- Japan Photography Workshop May 2023
- Japan Photography Tour is a Go!
- Japan Photo Tour — Fall 2022 (for real this time)
- Street Photography in Tokyo’s Old Town
- Get a Slice of Japan with Peko Peko Box