I took this photo so long ago, it feels like an eternity to me. It was during one of my first training with Lukasz Palka on a “Tokyo Vertigo” photo adventure. That’s when I discovered a brand new world hidden in plain sight, just a few meters above our heads. Urban exploration is a rather acquired taste—not for the faint-hearted shooters out there. It often requires a lot of (physical) efforts for little gain. This time though I was in luck! After 13 flights of stairs we arrivedon the edge of the building facing city of Tokyo when, suddenly, a kitchen chef with a traditional hat showed up on the fire escape in front of us. He was going from one floor to another. I sized the (rare) opportunity to capture a specimen of the fauna that inhabits the higher grounds of the metropolis. Shot on Nikon D7100 with a kit lens.
Want to get the latest photo tips and stories in your mailbox?
Read some more
- EYExplore Shared Photo Tours are Back!
- Yokohama After Dark — A New Photo Adventure!
- Summer Sale — 6,000 Yen Discount!
- A New Tokyo Photo Adventure: Tokyo Soul
- Japan Photo Tour May 2023 — Last Call!
- Japan Photography Workshop May 2023
- Japan Photography Tour is a Go!
- Japan Photo Tour — Fall 2022 (for real this time)
- Street Photography in Tokyo’s Old Town
- Get a Slice of Japan with Peko Peko Box